Sunday 27 January 2008

Wine Tasting!

This weekend Umbra organized a wine tasting trip to a vineyard in Perugia called Cantina Chiorri. Their wine was the best i've tried here (keep in mind i haven't been trying any nice wines yet, just the ones you get for 3euro at the store)
We got a tour of the vinyard and learned how wines made and whatnot. Then we tasted and ate! We tried 3 different type; biano, rosse ,e roso and ate bruschetta, formaggio, e proscuitto (which is literrally all anyone eats in Italy)
This is the Chiorri vineyard! They only made wine with the grapes they grow right here. They could do a lot more business if they outsourced more grapes but they chose not to.

This is a box of their wine- They sell Chiorri in New York and New Jersey, i highly recommend you buy Grecchettal; a sweet white wine served best with roasted chestnuts! and with appetizers. yummo

Wood barrels.




This machine here replaces feet in the grape smashing process.

A huuuge tub of wine.

Steel canisters.


Francesco!! My favorite Italian- he runs this vineyard and guided our tour. His wife is expecting a baby girl any day now- Marie Francesca.
First you look at the legs and the nail, smell, and taste!
"Wine has to be your lover"

The 'tastings' were actually full glasses of wine. Heres the rosse, which I don't usually like but damn was this goooood
Grecchetta
After we drank and ate, we all went for a walk through this cute little town. It just so happened to be one of the most beautiful days in Perugia- clear sunny skies and 55 degrees =)


Along the way Francesco had us stop at a neighboring vineyard. Apparently he helped this guy prune the vines the other day. It takes a village.Bellisima

I will own a vineyard one day. I promise.

Ben, this is what Finnegans will look like.
I'm never coming home.

Camminiamo


At one point I thought I would never wear sunglasses ever again.
Francesco said we can all come back at harvest time- around novembre- to work on his vineyard.
Um see ya later college, I'm moving to Italy.
Ciao!!!!!!!!!!
Before I left I told everyone to expect me back in March with my parents. I can't wait!


2 comments:

MaggieGentry said...

I want to go wine tasting!

sweetxxavenue said...

ps- I started blogging! I doubt anyone will read it, but maybe you will in order to know what's up in the world of Jenny/NYC/da Bronx.

woooo love you