Sunday 20 January 2008

firenze

This weekend we went to Firenze. Casey, Maggie, Lauren, Suzanne, Sara, Paige, Andrew and myself boarded the #9 bus from Piazza Stranieri to the Statzione and from there we took Trenitalia to Florence. The trip took close to 3 hours.

what sounds worse, 280 grams or 1/4 pound?

Maggie and a bridge

Some Italian tour guide pointed this face out on the wall in Loggia dei Lanzi in Piazza della Signoria. I'm not sure what she was saying about though but regardless- mi piace

I don't know the name of this one, but noice booty.

The Rape of Polyxena

Menelaus supporting the body of Patroclus.

Ercole e il Centauro di Giambologna


The Rape of the Sabine Women (This was my favorite one)

Someone *cough cough* snapped an illegal photo of David himself. I actually fell in love with this statue.

Lauren and fake David


Stop, look out, you may trip?

Ms. Catelli

I didn't realize til now, but how much does that guy look like Robert De niro?

The Duomo

We climbed 463 steps to the top of the Duomo, heres a peek along the way.

Alas, the top. We ran up to make it in time for sunset.

I've never in my life seen a more magnificent view.


Just about this picture I had to go back down on the ground. I got very afraid of heights =/

The way down.

The Duomo from the ground





This little shoppe basically defines what Italia means to me.



This isn't even the smallest car I've seen.

Steve's Vespa family.

Andrew!



The markets of firenze.

That Italian leather smells so nice and feels like butta.

Autobus

This is our hostel! we put 3 beds together so that the 4 girls could sleep all in one bed. Oh man that was a funny night.

THE SUN SHINES IN FLORENCE! it was a miracle and completely deserved sitting on some steps and drinking a Heineken. Its amazing what a little vitamin D will do to ya after it's been missing from your life for two weeks.


All in all the trip to Florence was fantastic. On the way there I was a little worried that I'd fall in love with the city more than I have with Perugia. Fortunately I didn't. Yes, Florence is beautiful but it caters to Americans. I was almost more shocked to here Italian than i was English. We actually got rushed out of a restaurant because there was a wait behind us. This is so very UNitalian and really bothered me. Its a very busy city, its a very beautiful city-more beautiful than I thought a city could be- but its no Perugia.

2 comments:

mrswright927 said...

Wow, looks great. What did you get in the markets... I love the cheese shot. I know it( the scenery) is much more beautiful in real life.
Have a great discovery week!!

Ken and Scarlet said...

Kristen,
We still hate you!!!! Only kidding. Florence is so wonderful isn't it!!!! Here's a funny trivia point. One of the pictures you (or Andrew. Oh, by the way, who's Andrew?????) took was the hotel Scarlet and I stayed in next to the Duomo (it's the picture taken close to evening with the "bar" sign on the corner). I had coffee there every morning and afternoon. I can't believe you graffitied the top of the Duomo!!!!! Some of the graffiti up there is over 500 years old. Did you buy a leather coat in Florence???? As far as gellato is concerned, my favorite ic cantelope and Scarlet's is lemon. After looking at all your pictures, it's the olive groves that Scarlet and I really reminisce about. Our goal too is to one day move to Italy. Want to go into business together???? Have a great time, and I'll speak with you soon.
Love Ken and Scarlet...Ciao!!!!